Friday, September 1, 2017

by grace

Concordia University Texas chooses a theme each year that guides our worship, our thinking, and our life together.  This year's theme (both as a reflection of being an institution of Lutheran higher education and the 500th anniversary of the Reformation) is By Grace, Through Faith, taken from the second chapter of the apostle Paul's letter to the Ephesians.  Yesterday, as I walked the grounds of my alma mater Concordia University Chicago (known then as Concordia Teachers College), I was flooded with the memories of my time there as a student...and especially the many ways in which I was shown grace by so many people.  As a college student (like many college students I have known and loved) I did many things for  which I should have received anything but grace...and yet, there were always people there to give me another chance.  I believe that I am the person I am today - and the leader I am today - partially because of the grace I was shown as a college student.

As one learns leadership and develops as a leader, grace becomes an important part of the process. Here are a few reasons why I think that is so:

  • people learn how to lead by taking chances - and often failing.  After those failures (perhaps many failures) receiving grace from those who have authority not only restores the relationship - it allows for one to try again...and even fail again
  • receiving grace over and over teaches one how to give grace to others, a key aspect of leadership
  • receiving grace over and over teaches one how to accept grace and give grace to oneself.  Leaders are prone to make mistakes (or at the least second guess themselves) and, being able to give grace to to themselves, are then able to move forward
  • grace given (and received) can and should be separate from giving (and receiving) consequences.  While given grace multiple times, I also had to live through the consequences of my actions.  Strong leaders are able to differentiate between these two - and explain that difference to others
  • leaders who choose and work with other leaders need to be able to spot those who freely give grace...and those who would rather withhold grace.  Grace giving leaders should (and most often will) chose others who follow that lead
  • giving grace is not a single event or time - it is a lifestyle.  Living as a grace giving person exudes into all the aspects of leadership, and is noticed by those with whom one serves
The mission of Concordia University Texas is that we are developing Christian leaders; one of the fundamental pieces of Christianity is knowing about, believing in, and living out God's grace in one's life.  Perhaps this is one of those hallmarks of Christian leadership - living out the vocation of leadership in a way that is grace giving.  I know that I benefited from such people in my life many years ago...I pray that I am that same type of leader and that others will follow in that same manner.

No comments: