So what do leaders do who really believe that "it's about people?" Here are five ideas to consider:
- Promote People - this means more than just giving someone a new title and more money...it means that individuals and groups are recognized for their work, that they believe you care about them (both in and outside of the organization), and that whenever you get a chance, you talk about how great the people in the organization are.
- Protect People - our colleagues need to know that we have their back, both in good times and bad. This might mean we have to run interference for them at times, that we might need to set limits at times, and that we need to create a work environment that is safe from abuse and harm.
- Provoke People - I believe that people want to have something bigger to aim for in their lives, and the leader's ability to create a bigger vision has as much to do with people's job satisfaction as does the work environment as a whole. Helping people find their dreams and passions within the organization can be incredibly satisfying for everyone.
- Poke People - this is about accountability, and holding people to doing their work excellently and in a manner that cares for others, This is often the hardest thing that leaders need to do, and it needs to be done for those who are not getting the job done, as well as for those who are the superstars (they need to know that you know who is not getting the job done).
- Pray With People - I have the unique privilege of being able to pray with my colleagues, and taking the time to lift them up in prayer publicly. While not everyone will be able to do this, it is important that people know you care enough about them that you would pray for them, that they are important to you, and that they are a part of your spirituality (whatever that might look like).
Those are my five Ps about people for today...anymore to add?