- don't be deluded...knowing that you are starting your role in this position is important toward understanding the job ahead
- know who your supporters are...they will be your cheerleaders when others are actively working against you
- know who your enemies are...most of those who don't want you are not your enemies - they just liked someone else better. But know who your true enemies are so you can navigate the territory ahead
- start by listening...and not just to your supporters. Listen broadly and deeply to understand what people want and need
- build coalitions...bringing people of differing opinions together will show everyone that you are a leader of and for the entire group
- act quickly...do something to show that despite having less than a majority mandate you are a person of action. People appreciate a leader who gets things done
- accept your vocation...no matter how you might have been chosen for a leadership position, you are now the person to whom people look to be their leader. LEAD...because that is your new responsibility
I will pray for the new president of the United States...I will pray for those he chooses to work with and for him...I will pray for the future of the people whom he leads...and I will pray for justice and mercy to be hallmarks of the presidency and the country, just as I have always done.