Friday, October 17, 2014

being new

What do you do when you look around and you are the "new kid" in the room...especially when you have not had to play that role for awhile?  These past few days (and others over the past several months) I have been the "new kid" in the room, hanging out with new faces and new friends, many who have done their role for many years.  Even if I know their names, and have met them previously, I am still new in this particular room.  Here's the problem...there is NOTHING I can do about that.  I AM the "new kid" in the room - and I'm glad I am (well, at least I am glad I am in the room).  Being new can cause anxiety, uncertainty, embarrassment, and sometimes downright fear.  There is also a certain freedom in not knowing what you don't know and being able to use the excuse "I'm still new."  Trying to balance all of these emotions is a part of the job - and how one is able to travel this new road can say a lot about their character and can help in shaping the future of their role.  After three months of experiencing being new once again, here are a few thoughts on how to best navigate this time:
  • keep reminding yourself that in one year, you will no longer be new...and there may even be other "new kids" around
  • keep reminding yourself that everyone else in the room was once new...and they felt the same things you are feeling
  • don't be afraid to ask questions - remember that this is what got you to this new position in the first place
  • don't ask too many questions - you do not need to bore the others with what you don't know
  • find a friend - and start asking that person those questions that you did not ask above
  • get to know people by engaging in conversations - have your list of questions ready that are more than just about work
  • don't insert yourself into others' conversations all the time - remember that the rest of the people are not new...be respectful of their deeper conversations
  • get comfortable with sometimes having to be by yourself - they aren't ignoring your...they just don't know you
  • be cognizant of where you sit - look around and be smart about where you actually take your seat at the literal table
  • be interesting - be willing to share your story and talk about things other than work and the job
  • listen intently - the people in the room are actually a lot smarter than you right now
  • be patient - your turn to take the lead will come in time (this is especially true when you are the "new kid" with a group of high level executives)
  • have fun - embrace being new as an honor and privilege...you only get to do this ONCE with this group
In a year or so I will look back on these days and months and remember those feeling of what it was like to be new...and I will be thankful for the many colleagues and friends who were patient with me as the "new kid" and helped acclimate me into the group.  Until then, I'll just keep reminding myself of the joys of being new.

No comments: