Friday, July 19, 2013

my Maine reading maration

As many of you know, each summer I get to spend four weeks in Maine with my wife, and that the highlight for me is the time I get to read...and read...and read.  All year long I put aside books I want to read in Maine, then ship them up ahead of time.  One of our great joys is going to the post office, getting the box of books, opening it up, and then beginning the reading marathon.  When we return, everyone's first question is "so what did you read?"  Below is my list of books read during that stretch.  I will refrain from commenting on them at this point; while there was no theme going into the vacation, several did emerge throughout my time there.  Enjoy the list - and enjoy reading some of them.

FICTION:
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Brothers K by David James Duncan
The Stranger by Albert Camus
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

NON-FICTION:
The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies by David Thomson
Baseball as a Road to God by John Sexton
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabell Wilkerson
Red, White, and Muslim by Asma Hasan
Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership through Literature by Joseph Badaracco
Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success by Phil Jackson
The Path to Power by Robert Caro
The Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command by Edward Coddington

MISCELLANY
In the Shadow of No Towers by Art Spiegelman
The Book of Job
The Book of Lamentations
The Book of Amos
The Tao Te Ching

The view from my reading chair...



No comments: