A new year brings several leadership challenges within an organization, especially at an institution of higher education. These challenges include:
- 1/4-1/3 of your population is new...how will we welcome them into and help them understand our culture?
- those who are returning expect to see something new...what have we done to make the place better?
- we have taken a break (at least mentally)...how much energy will it take to get the wheels in motion again?
- it's been a long summer...what needs to be done to remind people of the mission and vision?
- new students are now enrolled...are we really ready to start the recruiting cycle again with renewed enthusiasm?
- next year is right around the corner...what needs to be done NOW for cetain initiatives to be in place for the new year that begins in 12 months?
The paradox of the new school year is that as soon as it has begun, our role shifts to the NEXT school year. I wonder if my administrators really get this? I wonder if my faculty really get this? I wonder if I really get this? (then again, what choice do I have?).